Submitting an Identification Record Request to the FBI
Step 1: Complete the Applicant Information Form.
- If the request is for a couple, family, etc., all persons must sign the form.
- Include your complete mailing address. Please provide your telephone number and/or e-mail address, if available.
Step 2: Obtain a set of your fingerprints.
- Provide the original fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted.
- Your name and date of birth must be provided on the fingerprint card. Fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD-258) commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes.
- Include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken simultaneously (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
- If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
- To ensure the most legible prints possible, refer to the Recording Legible Fingerprints brochure.
Step 3: Submit payment.
- Option 1: Obtain a money order or cashier’s check for $18 U.S. dollars made payable to the Treasury of the United States. Please be sure to sign where required.
- Option 2: Pay by credit card using the Credit Card Payment Form. Don’t forget to include the expiration date of the credit card that you are using.
- Important note: Cash, personal checks, or business checks WILL NOT be accepted.
- Payment must be for the exact amount.
- If the request is for a couple, family, etc., include $18 for each person.
- If the request is for multiple copies per person, include $18 for each copy requested.
Step 4: Review the FBI Identification Record Request Checklist to ensure that you have included everything needed to process your request.
Step 5: Mail the required items listed above—signed applicant information form, fingerprint card, and payment of $18 U.S. dollars for each person or copy requested—to the following address:
FBI CJIS Division – Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
Note: Although the FBI employs the most efficient methods for processing these requests, processing times may take approximately eight weeks depending on the volume of requests received.