Live Scan Fingerprinting California Personal

Request Individual Criminal History Record for CA & Out of State Residents

Share This Article

Access to criminal history summary records maintained by the DOJ is restricted by law to legitimate law enforcement purposes and authorized applicant agencies.

However, individuals have the right to request a copy of their own criminal history record from the Department to review for accuracy and completeness.

Requests from third parties are not authorized and will not be processed.
To receive a copy of YOUR criminal history record, individuals must submit fingerprint images, pay a $25 processing fee to the DOJ, and follow the instructions below.

For California Residents

  • All California Applicants must submit Live Scan fingerprints as mentioned Here.
  • Use the Live Scan Form (Form BCIA 8016RR, pdf)
  • Check “Record Review” as the “Type of Application”.
  • Enter “Record Review” on the “Reason for Application” line.
  • Fill out all your personal information.
  • Take the completed form to any Live Scan site for fingerprinting services.

Fingerprinting services are available at most local police departments, sheriff’s offices or any public applicant Live Scan site.

To find the sites nearest to you, their fingerprint rolling fees, and acceptable methods of payment, see Public Live Scan Sites.

Out of State Residents:

  • Applicants Living Outside California/United States must submit manual fingerprint cards (Form FD258).
  • Print out the Application to Obtain Copy of State Summary Criminal History Record (Form BCIA 8705, pdf) and follow the instructions on the form.
  • Please contact your local law enforcement agency for fingerprinting services.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Your fingerprint card must contain your full name, date of birth, sex and return mailing address.

If you are having difficulty in obtaining a blank fingerprint card, please contact the Record Review Unit at (916) 227-3849.

Manual submissions must be accompanied by either personal check drawn on a U.S. bank, money order or certified check.

The check or money order must be made payable to the “California Department of Justice.” Mail your application, fingerprint card and processing fee to:
California Department of Justice
Record Review Unit
P.O. Box 903417
Sacramento, CA 94203-4170
Once you have received your Record Review Response, if you want to challenge the contents of your criminal record, you must complete the “Claim of Alleged Inaccuracy or Incompleteness” (form BCIA 8706), which will be included with your Record Review response if there is criminal information on your record.

Mail the completed form, along with a copy of your criminal history record, to the address indicated on the form.

Your challenge must specifically state the basis for the claim of inaccuracy or incompleteness and include any available proof or corroboration to substantiate your claim.

Please visit us at CertifixLiveScan.com to find your nearest location, or give us a call at (800) 710-1934, or email us at support@certifixlivescan.com.


Read more about: What are the Safest Ways to Complete Your Live Scan during the Covid-19 Pandemic?

Image by Ana Brown from Pixabay

Get your Live Scan Fingerprinting Near You

Live Scan & ink Card Fingerprinting

Schedule an Appointment Now!

We Offer a Nationwide Network of 1200+ Fingerprint Enrollment Centers

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I find my criminal background for personal use?

    You can print out a Record Review Live Scan Form, take it to the nearest live scan location and the results would be sent to your address. 

    DOJ fee is $25, plus rolling fee at location. 

    This can be used if you need to visit someone in prison. Learn More

  • How do I get arrests or court disposition information removed from my criminal history record?

    Arrest and court disposition information can only be modified or deleted by court order or at the direction of the arresting agency/district attorney having jurisdiction over the criminal matter. 

    The Department of Justice is required to record summary arrest, detention, disposition, and personal identification information when submitted by a law enforcement agency or court of this state. 

    The record retention policy of the Department is to maintain criminal history information until the subject of the record reaches 100 years of age.

  • Who do I call if I have additional questions regarding the Criminal Record Reviews process?

    Additional questions regarding the Record Review process can be directed to the Record Review Unit at (916) 227-3835 or email  recordreview@doj.ca.gov.

  • My employer is asking for a copy of my criminal history record. Can I give it to them?


    California Penal Code section 11142, prohibits you from giving your copy of your criminal record to an unauthorized third party. 

    In addition, California Penal Code section 11125, prohibits an individual or agency from requiring you to provide him/her or the agency with a copy of your criminal record or proof that a record does or does not exist. Violation of either of these sections is a misdemeanor offense.

View All Questions

Enjoy this article? Don't forget to share.

2 thoughts on “Request Individual Criminal History Record for CA & Out of State Residents

    1. Usually, one Live Scan is all you need for a certain job or license.
      Your requesting agency may request another Live Scan if they do not receive Arrest Notifications on a regular basis. For example, the Secretary of State requires that you do a new Live Scan every four years.
      The requesting agencies do not share the results, so if you got another job or license you would have to do another Live Scan transaction.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *